I thought I’d put together a list of quotes about the importance of having a heart of thanksgiving.
The very least we can do is approach the throne every day with a thankful heart because without God’s grace, love, and mercy we would have nothing, be nothing.
When we repeatedly express our gratitude, our perspective shifts and we no longer find ourselves bitter about the things we don’t have or the circumstances we don’t like.
Instead, we see our circumstances with new eyes and find ourselves content as we trust God and His purposes for our lives.
As David Steindl-Rast reminds us, “It is not joy that makes us grateful. It is gratitude that makes us joyful.”
A heart of thanksgiving is essential to the Christian faith, as it keeps our hearts aligned with His.
45 Quotes about Having a Heart of Thanksgiving
1. “Thanksgiving, after all, is a word of action.” —W.J. Cameron
2. “Thanksgiving Day comes, by statute, once a year; to the honest man it comes as frequently as the heart of gratitude will allow.” —Edward Sandford Martin
3. “God wants to see prayers that are filled with genuine praise and thanksgiving for what He has done in the past. He wants our hearts to be filled with awe and gratitude for His blessings. He wants us to set up memorials in our hearts testifying to the provisions He has given us.” —Michael Youssef
4. “The thankful receiver bears a plentiful harvest.” —William Blake
5. “There should be a parallel between our supplications and our thanksgivings. We ought not to leap in prayer, and limp in praise.” —Charles Haddon Spurgeon
6. “When asked if my cup is half-full or half-empty my only response is that I am thankful I have a cup.” —Sam Lefkowitz
7. “The Lord has done it this very day; let us rejoice today and be glad.” —Psalm 118:24
8. “The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.” —Dalai Lama
9. “Each day is a gift from God. What you do with it is your gift to Him.” —T.D. Jakes
10. “Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song.” —Psalm 95:2
11. “Thanksgiving is a very important holiday. Ours was the first country in the world to make a national holiday to give thanks.” —Linus
12. “Nothing is more honorable than a grateful heart.” —Seneca
13. “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” —James 1:17
14. “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” —1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
15. “Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.” —
16. “Thanksgiving Day is a good day to recommit our energies to giving thanks and just giving.” —Amy Grant
17. “Thank you is the best prayer that anyone could say. I say that one a lot. Thank you expresses extreme gratitude, humility, understanding.” —Alice Walker
18. “If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness. It will change your life mightily.” —Gerald Good
19. “If a fellow isn’t thankful for what he’s got, he isn’t likely to be thankful for what he’s going to get.” —Frank A. Clark
20. “Some people grumble that roses have thorns; I am grateful that thorns have roses.” —Alphonse Karr
21. “Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” —Marcel Proust
22. “He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.” —Epictetus
23. “I will praise God’s name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving.” —Psalm 69:30
24. “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever.” —Psalm 136:1
25. “If you are really thankful, what do you do? You share.” —W. Clement Stone
26. “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” —Oprah Winfrey
27. “I would rather be able to appreciate things I cannot have than to have things I am not able to appreciate.” —Elbert Hubbard
28. “Appreciation can change a day, even change a life. Your willingness to put it into words is all that is necessary.” —Margaret Cousins
29. “The Christian who walks with the Lord and keeps constant communion with Him will see many reason for rejoicing and thanksgiving all day long.” —Warren W. Wiersbe
30. “Thanksgiving is one of my favorite days of the year because it reminds us to give thanks and to count our blessings. Suddenly, so many things become so little when we realize how blessed and lucky we are.” —Joyce Giraud
31. “Gratitude can transform common days into Thanksgiving, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings.” —William Arthur Ward
32. “Thanksgiving just gets me all warm and tingly and all kinds of wonderful inside.” —Willard Scott
33. “Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good and his love endures forever, his faithfulness continues through all generations.” —Psalm 100
34. “Thanksgiving Day is a jewel, to set in the hearts of honest men; but be careful that you do not take the day, and leave out the gratitude.” —E.P. Powell
35. “’Thank you’ is the best prayer that anyone could say. I say that one a lot. Thank you expresses extreme gratitude, humility, understanding.” —Alice Walker
36. “Thanksgiving is a time of togetherness and gratitude.” —Nigel Hamilton
37. “Gratitude is a constant attitude of thankfulness and appreciation for life as it unfolds. Living in the moment, we are open to the abundance around us and within us. We express appreciation freely. We contemplate the richness of our life. In life’s trials, we seek to understand, to accept, to learn. Gratitude is a continual celebration of life.” —Author Unknown
38. “The unthankful heart discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings!” —Henry Ward Beecher
39. “We would worry less if we praised more. Thanksgiving is the enemy of discontent and dissatisfaction.” —Harry Ironside
40. “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” —John Fitzgerald Kennedy
41. “Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
42. “Thanksgiving was never meant to be shut up in a single day.” —Robert Caspar Lintner
43. “I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” —G.K. Chesterton
44. “Hem your blessings with thankfulness so they don’t unravel.” —Author Unknown
45. “I am grateful for what I am and have. My thanksgiving is perpetual.” —Henry David Thoreau
Thanksgiving is more than a holiday. It’s a lifestyle—an attitude of the heart.
Developing a thankful heart doesn’t happen overnight, but the more we practice it, the easier and more natural it becomes. And that’s what we should all want…a natural, genuine and sincere expression of gratitude for our Father and all He has done and does and will do for us.
Don’t wait until the fourth Thursday in November to be thankful.
Thank God every day, every time it crosses your mind, and encourage others to do the same.
There is always, ALWAYS something to be thankful for!
[maxbutton id=”1″ ]